Vice President of Talent, Summer Search
Position: Vice President of Talent
Functional Area: Talent Management & Recruiting
Organization: Summer Search
Location: San Francisco
Metro Region: San Francisco o
Summer Search is a $17.5M national youth development non-profit in seven cities across the country. Since 1990, we’ve worked with low-income high school students to transform what they believe is possible for them¬selves. We help them develop the skills and character traits they need to become college educated leaders who give back to their families and communities. We make a long-term investment in these students: at least five years, from high school through college. We partner each student with a professional mentor and build a circle of relationships around them. Then, we offer them experiential opportunities that crack open their view of the world and ultimately reveal what they’re capable of. Summer Search alumni, often the first in their families to earn a college degree, are beacons of change who give back to their fami¬lies and communities. The results speak for themselves: 83% of Summer Search students are on track to get a college degree, in contrast with fewer than 1 in 10 of their peers, and 80% of surveyed alumni volunteered for social causes.
Powered by a successful $20M national growth campaign, Summer Search launched our five-year strategic plan in 2013 with the goal of doubling revenues and serving more than 3,500 students by 2017. As the link between positive character traits and a child’s future success continues to gain widespread national attention, Summer Search stands at an exciting inflection point in its history. Recognized in both 2013 and 2014 by the Non-Profit Times as one of the 50 Best Non-Profits to Work for, Summer Search’s success can be attributed to our stellar team and we hope you will consider joining us. For more information, please visit http://www.summersearch.org
Summer Search is seeking an experienced and collaborative Vice President of Talent to lead the vision, strategy, and execution of talent acquisition, development, and retention throughout Summer Search’s national network. S/he will be a driving force in promoting Summer Search’s culture, both internally and externally, embodying the ideals of the organization and serving as a “brand ambassador” with prospective hires and existing employees. Reporting to the COO, this hire will provide direction and oversight for optimizing talent management processes, tools, and systems for the national headquarters and seven program sites, participating on the national senior management team and working closely with the program sites. This is an extraordinary opportunity to help a growing national organization with proven results develop the talent management structures that will ensure that Summer Search can continue to prioritize and support its people.
- Serve on the national senior management team (SMT), acting as a strategic advisor, functional expert, and thought partner on key talent acquisition, development, and retention strategies
- In close collaboration with the SMT and talent team, lead the creation of a comprehensive plan for employee recruitment, development, and retention, as well as design talent systems and processes that align with Summer Search’s values, mission, and strategic goals.
- Build, manage and coach the HR and talent staff, ensuring alignment of individual and team objectives to overall organizational objectives, strategic plan and performance standards
- Partner with CEO to develop and institute diversity and inclusion initiatives that ensure an organizational culture that is inclusive and promotes and supports Summer Search’s mission and values
- Create effective coaching opportunities with staff at program sites in order to strengthen the organization’s talent pipeline, retain strong performers, and address performance and other personnel issues
- Lead and guide the National HR Committee of the Board of Directors in assisting with the strategic direction of HR policies and talent initiatives
- Assess and report on employee satisfaction in the spirit of continuous improvement, leveraging data to inform opportunities to better support employees and foster high-performance
- Utilize data and metrics to inform talent management, planning, and success, including analyzing the effectiveness and return on investment of talent initiatives
- Refine and promote an employer brand strategy that communicates Summer Search’s culture and positions the organization as a highly desirable place to work
- Minimum of 8 years of management experience, with at least 5 years in a senior human resources, talent management, and/or organizational development position, preferably at a multi-site, national organization
- Track record of focusing on and achieving strong results while maintaining an inclusive, collaborative leadership style
- Strong strategic thinking skills and the ability to use data to drive decisions, as well as a hands-on approach to implementation
- Proven ability to hire, develop, and retain effective, diverse teams and to work in a fast-paced nonprofit environment
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership of both strategic and tactical HR functions, as well as serve as a motivating staff manager
- Strong project management skills with particular experience in change management
- Ability to coach and mentor direct reports, peers and executives on sound talent management practices
- Excellent relationship-building skills, with a demonstrated ability to develop productive working relationships with individuals who have a very diverse range of demographic and cultural characteristics
- A positive attitude, sense of humor, energy, and high degree of flexibility, as well as the ability to embrace and promote organizational values of excellence, leadership, collaboration, curiosity, authenticity, gratitude, humor, and self-care
- Bachelor’s degree required
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in PDF format, to Jessica Vibberts at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0KG000000YtbDk&tSource= Appl.ications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.