Senior Director of External Affairs, Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS)
Position: Senior Director of External Affairs
Functional Area: Marketing & Communications
Organization: Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS)
Location: New York
Metro Region: New York o
The mission of the Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS) is to ensure that all New Yorkers, including those who are medically underserved, have continuous access to high quality community-based health care services including a primary care home. To do this, CHCANYS serves as the voice of community health centers as leading providers of primary health care in New York State. CHCANYS is a dynamic, team-oriented, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that advocates on behalf of and provides technical assistance to federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) throughout New York State.
CHCANYS is New York State’s Primary Care Association, comprised of all of the FQHCs in New York State. New York State’s network of FQHCs ranks second in the number of patients served nationwide. FQHCs serve 1.6 million New Yorkers annually and are central to both federal and state health care reform strategies. In the past eight years, CHCANYS has experienced significant growth and now includes nationally recognized programs in health policy, quality improvement, health information technology, health system planning, and training and technical assistance.
The Senior Director of External Affairs (the “Senior Director”) will provide leadership and supervision to a newly formed division overseeing organizational advancement efforts, including external affairs, communications, marketing, media relations, and development. A lead activity of this position will be to coordinate and lead, in collaboration with program leads, CHCANYS’ Delivery System Reform Incentive Program (DSRIP) activities and related Medicaid Redesign Team (MRT) Waiver Initiatives. This is a new position that reflects the organizational strategy and development identified in the CHCANYS Strategic Plan and the organization’s focus on long-term positioning to support the expansion of sustainable health centers in New York State.
The Senior Director will be responsible for ensuring continued and growing recognition of CHCANYS and FQHC capacity and building the public image of CHCANYS. The Director will report to the President and CEO, and work closely with leadership across the organization to: raise organizational and FQHC visibility; increase revenue; and create awareness and excitement about CHCANYS and FQHC mission, services, leadership, and staff.
The Creation of an External Affairs Division will enable CHCANYS to provide FQHCs with the essential support they require to ensure they maintain the high quality of their care as demand for their services increases. This role will help position them as leaders and influential voices in the current work to transform the health care delivery system in New York State.
Overall, the Senior Director will be a flexible leader, able to successfully drive projects forward and work with others in a collaborative, supportive, yet direct manner. The individual in this role will work with a diverse group of people, be balancing numerous responsibilities at a given time, and will be required to travel statewide and nationally up to 40% time.
External Affairs & Communications
- Oversee the development of consistent messaging across the organization to promote CHCANYS’ and member FQHCs’ mission, vision and values
- Develop an annual plan for communications and marketing with input from leadership, FQHCs, patients, and other constituents which will provide a cohesive message across programs and best highlight the work of this statewide movement
- Manage external communications for CHCANYS’ initiatives including DSRIP Projects and Programs
- Direct communications efforts for CHCANYS’ publicity, press, promotion, and public information activities
- Manage all media relations, including proactively cultivating ongoing media relationships
- Oversee the writing, editing, production, dissemination and maintenance of all written and electronic communications, including social media, press releases, op-ed pieces, newsletters, annual reports, the website, and promotional materials
- Create and execute a marketing strategy to promote a strong public image to internal and external audiences, including seeking opportunities for CHCANYS’ public speaking engagements at high profile events (e.g., hearings, conferences, meetings, etc.)
- Develop and manage a communications and marketing budget to maximize resources
- In collaboration with the Operations Team, provide strategic planning, direction and oversight to CHCANYS development efforts
- Supervise the development function and team in the implementation of a development plan focused on identifying and securing funding from public and private sources
- In close collaboration with CHCANYS’s program leads, coordinate and lead all CHCANYS’s efforts on DSRIP and MRT Waiver for New York State, including strategy development, project direction and management
- As part of DSRIP Core Team work, develop and manage the Integrated Service Provider Network, a collaborative effort of several membership associations to surface and seek resolution on issues concerning DSRIP project development
- 7+ years of senior level experience, demonstrating progressively increasing responsibility, with demonstrated success in all or most of the functional areas (i.e. external affairs, strategic development, communications, marketing, development)
- Ability to work independently without close oversight, while being a strong team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside CHCANYS
- Proven success in developing mutually-beneficial relationships with internal and external partners
- Impeccable integrity, judgment, and discretion along with a professional demeanor and interpersonal style that elicits trust from leadership, funders, staff, and partners. Must be a proficient and diplomatic communicator
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time, managing a heavy workload
- Strategic thinker and planner; strong project management skills; highly organized and detail-oriented
- Exceptional writing, verbal communication and presentation skill sets
- Knowledge of health care, federally qualified health centers, and/or the communities served by FQHCs preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with customer/client groups and/or experience in non-profit community based organizations
- A hands-on management style and the ability to address and solve problems or issues as they arise
- Ability to work as a team member and work effectively with diverse people
- Demonstrated awareness of and value of cultural competence
- Proficient computer skills: MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Outlook; Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge or similar development software preferred. Knowledge of CRM (Customer Relationship Management) or similar contacts database software preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Public Health, Public Administration or related field preferred
- Must be able to meet travel requirements of up to 30-40% of work time statewide and nationally
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Elizabeth Swain, President & CEO at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0KG000000YtqzL&tSource=
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.