Portfolio Manager, Charter School Growth Fund
Position: Portfolio Manager
Functional Area: Strategy / Management Consulting
Organization: Charter School Growth Fund
Location: Broomfield, CO or Chicago, IL
Metro Region: Chicago or Denver o
The Charter School Growth Fund (CSGF) is a philanthropic venture fund that invests in the nation’s highest-performing charter school operators to dramatically expand their impact on underserved students. Founded by national philanthropists to transform K-12 education, CSGF supports over 40 charter school management organizations (CMOs) that include some of the most innovative and successful public charter school networks in the United States. We provide financing, business planning support, strategic advice, and other resources to help portfolio members open additional schools and serve more students.
CSGF is investing nearly $300 million over five years in a growing national portfolio of CMOs.
Beyond that core Fund, CSGF runs a number of specialized funds, including regional-focused funds and an Emerging CMO Fund, which provides growth capital and support to social entrepreneurs of color who are developing networks of high-performing charter schools in under-served communities.
CSGF engages deeply with entrepreneurial CEOs and their senior teams as they drive rapid growth and build high-performing, scalable operations. Today, the CSGF portfolio of CMOs operate more than 400 schools that serve 160,000 students, 90% of whom are minority and 75% low-income. These CMOs are growing enrollment by 30% per year, while closing the achievement gap and dramatically improving educational opportunities for students in their communities.
CSGF is seeking an Investment Portfolio Manager to join its dynamic and growing team. We are structured like an investment firm, and the Portfolio Manager will work in collaboration with CSGF’s Partners to develop potential new investments, manage ongoing relationships with and provide outstanding counsel to the senior leaders in the CSGF portfolio. The Portfolio Manager will report directly to a Partner and will join a highly talented investment team that has strong business, education, venture capital, and philanthropic experience. The Portfolio Manager position offers an exceptional opportunity to develop professionally, contribute meaningfully to a unique organization, and gain a deeper understanding of entrepreneurs who are working to change K-12 education.
- Source potential investments including meeting with entrepreneurs, attending and presenting at relevant conferences and networking events
- Lead intensive due diligence on charter school networks, including visiting schools, evaluating management teams and boards, analyzing financial projections, achievement data and local market dynamics, and reviewing business plans
- Prepare and present investment memos, summaries and recommendations to CSGF’s senior management and board of directors
- Serve as thought partner to the leadership teams of charter school networks during their strategic planning and business planning processes
- Act as ongoing strategic advisor to portfolio member management teams in order to support their continued success
- Represent CSGF and portfolio members in meetings with State heads of education, USDOE staff, district and county Superintendents and high-level industry stakeholders
- Work closely with CSGF Partners on various research and analytic projects
- Collaborate with other CSGF teams to continuously improve internal processes and work flow
- Lead and manage new strategic initiatives in order to support the growth of CSGF and the sector as a whole
- Eight or more years of work experience, possibly including consulting, investment management, venture capital, private equity or similar experience advising clients on growth strategies
- Demonstrated commitment to and passion for k-12 education
- Senior project management experience as demonstrated by P&L oversight, portfolio management or business development responsibility
- Strong strategic thinking, communication, and creative problem solving skills
- Demonstrated skills in financial modeling and analysis of financial and growth projections
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships including providing actionable advice and resources to CSGF portfolio members
- Capacity to work as part of a collaborative team within a dynamic and growing organization
- An advanced degree (MBA, JD) is strongly preferred
- Willingness to travel extensively
Fit with CSGF Core Values
- Results. We work relentlessly to create efficient, measurable, and sustainable results. We strive for excellence and pursue our mission tenaciously. Candidate should have the ability to work in a self-directed manner in a fluid environment where flexibility and tenacity are required.
- Entrepreneurship. We embrace calculated risks and new approaches. We have an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes innovation, diversity of ideas, and risk. Candidate should be willing to question conventional wisdom and think independently.
- Integrity. We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We hold ourselves and our partners to the highest ethical standards.
- Respect. We appreciate the challenges faced by education entrepreneurs and recognize the limits of our own knowledge. We understand that our ultimate success is dependent upon the achievements of our partners.
- Teamwork. We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the greatest results by working together. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. Candidate should have a great sense of humor and enjoy being a team player.
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter addressed to Rich Billings,outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0KG000000Ys6NsMAJ&tSource
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.