Operations Associate, Breakthrough Greater Boston (BTGB)
Position: Operations Associate
Functional Area: Business Operations
Organization: Breakthrough Greater Boston (BTGB)
Metro Region: Boston o
Breakthrough Greater Boston (BTGB) is a successful college access and teacher training program. Breakthrough offers six years of academic enrichment and college preparation to middle and high school students with high potential but limited opportunities. Simultaneously, BTGB recruits, trains and inspires a diverse cohort of high achieving undergraduate and high school students to become the next generation of urban teachers. Using a Students Teaching Students model, BTGB provides engaging, tuition-free academic programming in the summer and after school. Our younger students gain the skills and motivation to succeed in rigorous high school courses and, ultimately, in college. Meanwhile, our teachers gain practical hands-on experience, research-based training and coaching from professional educators.
Over the past 6 years, 97% of our graduating students have matriculated to four-year college. Over the past two years, more than 75% of our graduating teachers have gone on to pursue careers in education. After over two decades of success at the original Cambridge site, Breakthrough Greater Boston embarked upon a significant program expansion and opened a new site in Dorchester in summer 2013.
As we grow our organization, the Operations Associate is critically important to the high functioning of our organization. The Operations Associate will play a key role in coordinating and managing Breakthrough Greater Boston’s organizational systems and functions including finance, human resources, technology, and administration, and as such, is responsible for ensuring the smooth day-to-day operations of Breakthrough. In this role, the Operations Associate will gain valuable experience, and build skills and knowledge in a variety of functional areas within nonprofit management. The Operations Associate works closely with and reports directly to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Operations and Office Management
- Provide administrative and operational support to ensure the organization runs smoothly.
- Ensure general office upkeep, including maintenance of office equipment, placing work orders and purchasing office supplies.
- Greet guests, respond to phone and email inquiries, and collect and distribute mail.
- Oversee food services, transportation, and space.
- Manage most key vendor relationships.
- Oversee the organization and inventorying of, as well as retention policies for, files and supplies.
Day-to-day financial management
- Maintain accurate records in Quickbooks and work with outside accountant to complete month end financial close.
- Responsible for day-to-day account transactions including accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash transactions and donation processing.
- Support the annual audit and provide financial materials to external auditors.
- Aid in overseeing annual budgeting and planning processes for staff.
- Manage systems for recruitment and hiring providing key support to staff.
- Process new hire paperwork and payroll.
- Administer employee benefits.
- Anticipate future hardware, software and technology system’s needs.
- Ensure appropriate maintenance of all technology and serve as liaison to all technology support professionals.
- Support staff with their technology needs.
- Two years of professional work experience
- Superior organizational skills and detail orientation
- Ability to manage multiple, detailed projects and drive toward deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of interpersonal maturity, poise, and professionalism
- Unwavering commitment to service and customer orientation
- Team player who demonstrates a positive attitude, energy, entrepreneurial spirit, dedication to collaboration, and sense of humor
- Command of Microsoft Office suite and other databases
- Demonstrated commitment to Breakthrough’s mission; prior experience with education programs desired
- Fluency in Spanish or Haitian Creole a plus
- Bachelor’s degree
For more information, visit http://www.breakthroughgreaterboston.org.
Breakthrough Greater Boston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.