Manager, Foundation Assessment Tools, Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP)
Position: Manager, Foundation Assessment Tools
Functional Area: Program Management
Organization: Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP)
Location: Cambridge, MA
Metro Region: Boston o
The Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP) is a nonprofit organization focused on the development of comparative data to enable higher-performing funders. CEP’s mission is to provide data and create insight so philanthropic funders can better define, assess, and improve their effectiveness – and, as a result, their intended impact.
CEP pursues its mission through data collection and research that fuel the creation of assessment tools, publications, and programming. Since receiving initial funding in 2001, CEP has produced widely referenced research reports on foundation performance assessment, foundation strategy, foundation governance, and foundation–grantee relationships. CEP has created new data sets relevant to foundation leaders and hosted highly regarded programming focused on key issues related to funder effectiveness.
CEP research publications are widely read by foundation CEOs and have, according to third party assessments, influenced practice at many large foundations. More than 250 foundations – including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Ford Foundation, and William and Flora Hewlett Foundation—have used CEP’s assessment tools. CEP has been credited in the press with “shaking up” the foundation world and is viewed as the leading institution in providing performance assessment data to foundations in the U.S. and, increasingly, internationally.
CEP is currently seeking a dynamic and experienced Manager to join its team. Reporting to the Vice President of Assessment Tools and working in CEP’s Cambridge, MA office, the Manager will work with both internal and external stakeholders to lead the development of client relationships with foundations using CEP’s assessment tools, to oversee data generation, analysis and report creation processes, and to ensure quality in CEP’s work. CEP’s Assessment Tools Managers supervise research analysts, develop new and maintain existing relationships with Foundation leadership, and represent the organization in meetings, in client presentations of assessment tool results and periodically at conferences or speaking engagements.
The successful candidate will possess both outstanding data analysis skills and outstanding communication skills and will be adept at interacting with high-level executives in high-stakes settings. She or he must be comfortable in a work environment in which the highest standards of analysis and quality control are expected, both when producing his or her own work and when overseeing the work of others.
- Cultivate and build strong existing and new client relationships based on trust, communication, and a commitment to service excellence
- Oversee the development of high quality assessment tools engagements by appropriately scoping projects, managing and interpreting data collection and analysis; effectively managing project-based teams; making choices about what paths of analysis to pursue; and deciding how best to communicate results through CEP’s online reporting system and presentations for clients
- Help clients understand assessment results, demonstrating patience, empathy, and an appreciation for organizational dynamics and the psychological barriers to change and improvement
- Contribute to new business development by reaching out to potential clients, following up on inquiries and leads as well as exploring new business opportunities with existing clients
- Participate on the managers’ team, addressing the strategy, content, and continuous improvement of CEP’s assessment tools and identifying opportunities to provide advisory services
- Supervise research analysts through coaching, mentoring and training to foster their development and ensure that CEP’s work is of consistently high quality
- Attend conferences and generate interest in CEP’s work through public speaking and generating word-of-mouth buzz about the accomplishments and goals of CEP
- Contribute positively to the organization’s culture by demonstrating a commitment to the organization’s mission and its belief in the power of good data to improve decision-making
- Minimum of five years of experience with management/strategy consulting experience highly desired
- A minimum of a bachelor’s (BA, BS) degree is required; advanced degree in business, public policy, public health, or public administration strongly preferred
- Experience developing and managing client relationships with responsibility for deliverables and presentations
- Comfort interacting with high-level senior executives in high-pressure, high-stakes settings
- Passionate commitment to the work of the nonprofit sector and the effectiveness of philanthropy
- Experience managing teams as well as mentoring and training junior staff members
- Outstanding analytical ability, including facility with basic statistical analyses (i.e., T-tests, ANOVA, regressions)
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Power Point skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Highest level of personal integrity and commitment to excellence
- Travel of approximately 40% will be required of this position
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Kevin Bolduc at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0KG000000YsPFu&tSource= Appli.cations will be reviewed on a rolling basis.