Director of Advisory Services, Center for Effective Philanthropy
Position: Director of Advisory Services
Functional Area: Program Management
Organization: Center for Effective Philanthropy
Metro Region: Boston o
The Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP) is a nonprofit organization focused on the development of comparative data to enable higher-performing funders. CEP’s mission is to provide data and create insight so philanthropic funders can better define, assess, and improve their effectiveness – and, as a result, their intended impact. Having worked with more than 250 foundations– including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Ford Foundation, and William and Flora Hewlett Foundation—CEP has been credited in the press with “shaking up” the foundation world. CEP is viewed as the leading institution in providing performance assessment data to foundations in the U.S. and, increasingly, internationally.
In order to complement its highly regarded assessment tools and research, and in response to increased demand from its stakeholders, CEP is now launching an Advisory Services offering. These services may include customized operational and process benchmarking, surveys and interviews of foundation stakeholders, development of scorecards or other performance assessments, customized training and professional development workshops, follow-on analyses and implementation advice to users of our assessment tools, and board and leadership facilitation on topics related to foundation effectiveness. Engaging with CEP’s highly customized Advisory Services will allow foundations to draw on CEP’s deep knowledge and rigorous approach in new and innovative ways. To learn more about CEP, please visit: http://www.effectivephilanthropy.org/
CEP is currently seeking an entrepreneurial, experienced individual who will have the unique opportunity to help develop and lead CEP’s new Advisory Services efforts. Reporting to the Vice President of Assessment Tools and working in CEP’s Cambridge, MA office, the Director will partner with CEP’s Vice Presidents and President to establish the strategy for Advisory Services work and identify the offerings that best leverage CEP’s knowledge base. The Director will define the structure of individual advising engagements and serve as a client lead for these engagements. The Director will develop new, and maintain existing, relationships with foundation leadership and represent the organization in client presentations as well as periodically at conferences or speaking engagements.
The successful candidate will offer an innovative mindset, outstanding communication skills, and a facility with data analysis and synthesis. He or she will be adept at interacting with high-level executives in high-stakes settings and comfortable in a work environment in which the highest standards of analysis and quality control are expected. With success, this position may offer rapid advancement. This is an exciting opportunity for someone skilled in designing and leading consulting engagements to leverage those skills while helping to build out a new service offering for a highly regarded organization.
- Help create the overall strategy for CEP’s Advisory Services, structuring offerings that align with CEP’s knowledge base and capabilities
- Oversee the development of high quality advisory engagements by appropriately scoping projects; designing, managing, and interpreting data collection and analysis; effectively managing project-based teams; and deciding how best to communicate results to clients
- Cultivate and build strong existing and new client relationships based on trust, communication, and a commitment to service excellence
- Deliver data-driven recommendations to clients, demonstrating patience, empathy, and an appreciation for organizational dynamics and the psychological barriers to change and improvement
- Contribute to new business development by following up on inquiries and leads as well as exploring new business opportunities with new and existing clients
- Participate on the Directors’ team, addressing the strategy, content, and continuous improvement of CEP’s Advisory Services and Assessment Tools
- Supervise research analysts through coaching, mentoring and training to foster their development and ensure that CEP’s work is of consistently high quality
- Attend conferences and generate interest in CEP’s work through public speaking and building word-of-mouth buzz about the accomplishments and goals of CEP
- Contribute positively to the organization’s culture by demonstrating a commitment to the organization’s mission and its belief in the power of good data to improve decision-making
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience, with a minimum of two years of management/strategy consulting experience required; and nonprofit/foundation experience preferred
- A minimum of a bachelor’s (BA, BS) degree is required; advanced degree in business, public policy, public health, or public administration strongly preferred
- Ability to innovate and apply an entrepreneurial approach to problem-solving
- Experience developing and managing client relationships with responsibility for deliverables and presentations
- Comfort interacting with high-level senior executives in high-pressure, high-stakes settings
- Experience managing teams as well as mentoring and training junior staff members
- Strong analytical ability, including comfort with methods of quantitative analysis and the ability to convey complex data or information to a wide range of audiences
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Power Point skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Passionate commitment to the work of the nonprofit sector and the effectiveness of philanthropy
- Highest level of personal integrity and commitment to excellence
- Travel of approximately 40% will be required of this position
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Kevin Bolduc at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0KG000000YstDc&tSource= Appli.cations will be reviewed on a rolling basis.