Director of Marketing & Communications, College Track
Position: Director of Marketing & Communications
Functional Area: Marketing & Communications
Organization: College Track
Location: Oakland, CA
Metro Region: Oakland o
College Track is a national college completion program that empowers students from underserved communities to graduate from college. From the summer before 9th grade through college graduation, our 10-year program removes the barriers that prevent students from earning their college degree by providing them with comprehensive academic support, leadership training, financial and college advising, and scholarships.
College Track started in 1997 with a cohort of 27 students in East Palo Alto. Today, we serve over 1,600 high school and college students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, New Orleans, Colorado, and Los Angeles. Over our 16-year history, 92% of our high school seniors have been accepted to four-year colleges and our college graduation rate is 2.5 times the national average for low-income students. Today, College Track is building upon its success to grow its existing programs, expand into new parts of the country, and serve significantly more students. By 2016, we will double the number of students served to over 3,000. In 10 years, we will serve over 10,000 students and increase our number of college graduates tenfold. To learn more, please visit http://www.collegetrack.org.
To support its aggressive growth goals, College Track is seeking an entrepreneurial, strategic, and resourceful Director of Marketing & Communications to lead the refinement of the organization’s brand strategy, as well as manage all related marketing activities. Reporting to the Vice President of Development, this hire will oversee the development and implementation of a multi-year, national plan that is focused on promoting College Track to donors, students, schools, school districts, community groups, media outlets, and other target audiences. Specifically, this hire will be responsible for production of marketing collateral (print, email, and web-based), social media outreach, website and blog maintenance, public and media relations, and national events, including the Annual Benefit, College Track’s largest fundraiser. This is an amazing opportunity for a savvy and motivated communications professional to play a critical role in the continued growth of a nationally recognized and highly successful college completion program.
Responsibilities:Strategic Planning and Brand Management
- Develop a comprehensive and integrated marketing plan to promote the College Track brand; determine the best strategies to increase awareness and reputation of College Track’s program and mission across key stakeholders and audiences, in the following areas:
- Public/media relations
- Social media and digital communications (e.g. email, website, blog)
- Fundraising materials, annual report, and other print collateral
- National and site-specific materials
Refine existing brand identity, position, and messaging in order to positively differentiate College Track in an increasingly competitive college completion/youth development market.
Serve as a “brand champion” ensuring consistent and unified brand usage across the entire organization, providing national and regional offices with guidelines and training.
Collaborate with the development team, senior leadership team, and Board of Directors to ensure marketing strategies reflect and advance departmental and organizational goals.
- Assist the Vice President of Development with budgeting, long-term planning, and staff/team development
- Provide hands-on support to national and regional offices by producing and distributing a variety of marketing materials, including press kits, site-specific collateral, business cards, and promotional items.
- Lead all public relations efforts, including proactively seeking online and traditional media exposure, serving as a point person on all inbound media requests, writing press releases, and assisting with preparation of talking points, speeches, and presentations.
- Project manage the production of College Track’s fundraising events, including its Annual Benefit, regional graduation ceremonies, and site openings. For the Annual Benefit, collaborate with the development team and Board of Directors in identifying sponsors, produce sponsorship letters, guest invitations, and event programs, and coordinate all logistics with event management vendor.
- Create high-quality materials in support of funder and other external meetings, as well as produce key development materials such as the annual fund mailer and annual report.
- Maintain College Track’s website and social media presence, including making frequent updates to site content, writing original blog entries, and sharing relevant and “sticky” content on a variety of social media channels.
- Manage relations with key vendors, including graphic designers, website designers, and video producers, to develop strong print and web-based materials.
- Manage key campaigns and reports/dashboards in Salesforce.com, including managing contacts in the Salesforce database.
- At least 6 years of broad marketing and/or communications experience, with demonstrated knowledge of marketing strategy, brand management, public relations, event planning, digital marketing, and print materials, preferably at an educational or nonprofit organization.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to College Track’s mission to empower students from underserved communities to graduate from college.
- Highly developed strategic thinking and execution skills that allow him/her to successfully lead and manage projects, groups, or organizations to achieve desired results.
- Outstanding problem solver with an independent and entrepreneurial spirit and ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Natural ability to collaborate and build relationships with multiple stakeholders, both internally and externally, with exceptional verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Flexible and adaptive work style, with the ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment; ability to prioritize among competing demands.
- High level of self-awareness, humility, and emotional intelligence.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in marketing, communications, or PR) or equivalent experience required; Master’s degree preferred.
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in PDF format, to Lara Sellers, Vice President of Development, at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0KG000000Yttbt&tSource=
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
College Track offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
College Track is an equal opportunity employer.