Chief Business Development Officer, Net Impact
Position: Chief Business Development Officer
Functional Area: Development & Sales
Organization: Net Impact
Location: San Francisco, CA
Metro Region: San Francisco o
Net Impact is the leading nonprofit that empowers a new generation to work within and beyond business for a sustainable future. We partner with forward-thinking businesses and nonprofits that want to engage in meaningful ways with next generation leaders on campus and in the workplace. Our 300+ vibrant chapters can be found in cities across the globe and on the world’s leading business school and college campuses. We enable new leaders to act locally and connect globally online and through our flagship conference. Our team is passionate about our mission of mobilizing a new generation to drive transformational change in the workplace and the world. In our shared commitment to make our own mark on the world, we bring our entrepreneurial spirit, integrity, and optimistic outlook to work every day.
Net Impact is nearing the third year of a 10-year strategic plan with the goal of creating a movement of 1 million people who are using their careers to drive transformational change in their workplaces and the world. We are pursuing this goal through a variety of new programs and campaigns, expansion of existing offerings, and investments in internal resources and capacity.
Net Impact is seeking its first Chief Business Development Officer (CBDO) to pursue innovative and strategic partnerships in support of its ambitious goals. Reporting to the CEO, this hire will develop and implement a plan for pursuing six-figure plus, multi-year engagements primarily with global corporations that have a vested interest in the populations served by Net Impact. The CBDO will serve as a member of the senior leadership team, manage a growing and high performing development team, oversee existing fundraising and development activities, and initiate new relationships that result in mutually beneficial partnerships. This is a tremendous opportunity for an experienced and successful business development leader to help a highly effective nonprofit reach its next level of scale and impact.
- Lead the design and implementation of a comprehensive business development/fundraising plan, with an emphasis on creating a partnership strategy that targets global corporations to fund six-figure-plus dollar, multi-year programmatic initiatives.
- Oversee the management of existing and new relationships with corporate and philanthropic partners, ensuring their needs are met and they are engaged on a meaningful level with Net Impact. Personally build relationships that result in support for existing programs and new programs.
- Provide supervision and guidance for Net Impact’s development team comprised of a VP of Development, Corporate Partnership Director, Corporate Partnership Manager, and Development Manager. Create an environment of accountability, motivation, professional growth and high productivity.
- Gain first-hand knowledge of Net Impact’s programs in order to understand and articulate the activities, stories, and impact of each program, as well as ensure programmatic needs and capabilities are reflected in discussions with new and existing partners.
- Leverage the time and effort of Net Impact’s CEO and Board, identifying and implementing ways to enlist and motivate them to facilitate prospect introductions, attend meetings, and participate in other business development activities as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to solicit input and coordinate the participation of the program, finance, marketing, membership, and web teams in partnership activities.
- Serve as a key member of the executive team, contributing to overall organizational strategies and representing the priorities of the development function. Participate in promoting an organizational culture that values long-term strategic thinking, creativity/innovation, and high performance.
- Represent Net Impact externally at conferences, meetings, and speaking engagements as required.
- At least 15 years of business development experience including demonstrated success forging strategic partnerships that have resulted in six-figure plus, multi-year engagements, preferably in a nonprofit or mission-driven environment.
- Enthusiastic commitment to Net Impact’s mission and genuine interest in inspiring and supporting professionals to use the power of business to create a better world.
- Ability to innovate, develop new strategies, and drive creativity and inventiveness within the organization’s business development and fundraising strategies.
- Exceptional relationship building and interpersonal skills, with the ability to represent the organization passionately to potential partners, as well as listen and respond to the interests of a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong staff management skills, with the ability to foster a sense of team accountability and high performance.
- Proven ability to inspire, coach, and influence direct reports, senior leaders, Board members and other staff.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented, and collaborative environment, as well as an interest in advancing the organization’s culture to be even more strategic, innovative, and high-performing.
- BA required; MBA or other advanced degree is a plus
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of the time.
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, in PDF format, to Liz Maw at: http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0KG000000Ysjol&tSource= .
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Net Impact offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Net Impact is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition, disability, or sexual orientation.