The Growth Imperative: How Can Organizations Plan Ahead?
In a recent report titled “The Global War for Talent” published by Aberdeen Group, a global research organization, researchers suggest that companies that focus their efforts on future workforce planning have a consistent advantage in talent acquisition. Sounds like a no-brainer, right? But what about organizations that are growing at such a rate that future growth is difficult to predict? This is a common challenge of some entrepreneurial nonprofit organizations whose growth outpaces their ability to plan for growth.
To address this challenge, Commongood Careers has a few suggestions:
1. Know the skill sets you seek. Create a list of common skills and competencies required for hires, both for specific roles and for all employees. If you build these profiles today, you’ll be better prepared when a position opens up in your organization.
2. Be able to connect quickly with candidates who possess those skills. Smart organizations are always “recruiting” to some extent; keep track of and keep in touch with any potential employees you may meet even if you’re not hiring for an open position today. Then, when it comes time to fill an open position, you’ll have a few leads in mind from the start.
3. Elevate talent acquisition planning to a strategic level. Your organization wouldn’t launch a new fiscal year without a budget, right? Planning for new hires is just as important. Build hiring plans, even if they are just forecasts or estimates, into your yearly planning process. A little work on an organization chart in advance will help to avoid hiring “fire drills” down the road.
Other suggestions for how nonprofits can best plan ahead for hiring? Let us know your thoughts by leaving a comment to this blog entry.
Post a CommentCommenting is not available in this channel entry.
- Alison Jones
- Change.org Social Entrepreneurship
- Dan Pallotta
- Human Capitalist
- Leading Edge
- Nonprofit Capacity Building
- Nonprofit Leadership 601
- One Day One Job
- Recruitment 2.0
- Social Velocity
- Tactical Philanthropy
- Taleo Talent Management Blog
- The Human Capital Blog