An Uncommonly Good Year in Review
by Dana Hagenbuch
2013 was a time of growth, innovation, and insights for Commongood Careers. In our 8th year of operations, we continued to focus on serving the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits, but we also took a step back to learn from our track record to date, spend time in the field building partnerships and networks, and develop a set of new service offerings.
We were proud to successfully close 47 searches with 33 of the nation’s most exciting and high-impact organizations. We got the chance to work with new clients such as Blue Engine, CollegeSpring, Eye to Eye, Opportunity Network, and Water.org, as well as continue to serve amazing organizations like Acelero, Summer Search, NCB Capital Impact, Reading Partners, Primary Care Development Corporation, and Net Impact. Our entire client roster is doing incredible work in the mission areas they serve, and we were honored to be part of helping to grow their teams.
This year marked an expansion of our services as well, as we conducted more executive searches than ever before. A few hires of note include Chief Executive Officer of NetHope and Executive Director of Zone 126. We also experimented with some innovative search offerings, including volume searches for multiple positions with Turnaround for Children and entry-level search with Boston Debate League.
Some other milestones of note in 2013 include:
- Getting Out in the Field – We participated in over 15 panel discussions and regional events, including the National Conference on Volunteering and Service, the Harvard Social Enterprise Conference, and Generation Inc. Led by our VP of Recruitment, Kevin Flynn, we also forged an exclusive partnership with Public Allies, which included multiple presentations to their fellows and alumni. We were honored to help the next generation of talent gain some valuable job seeking skills through these engagements.
- Training Nonprofits on Talent Issues - Our fearless leader Cassie Scarano was invited on two separate occasions to lead workshops with six grantees of Tipping Point Community, including Year Up, the Stride Center, and BUILD. Workshops focused on the best practices related to employer value propositions, recruiting, and interviewing. We are thankful to Tipping Point Community for this opportunity to connect with their grantees and help them improve their hiring processes.
- Serving on Board and Volunteer Engagements – A number of our staff volunteered on boards or served in advisory roles to nonprofits, including YNPN Boston, Starting Bloc, and Breakthrough Greater Boston. Others engaged in volunteer activities during the year as well, with organizations like Bottom Line and New Sector Alliance, and one staff member was an evaluator for the Civic 50, a nationwide initiative to measure, track, and promote how businesses are institutionalizing civic engagement into their corporate culture.
- Hiring New Staff - We grew in 2013! We were thrilled to welcome new Search Consultants Kirstin Griffiths, Presceia Cooper, and Lindsey Pittas, and Recruitment Manager Rita Tran to our team. We’re bigger and better than ever, and ready to serve jobseekers and organizations with even greater impact in the year ahead.
This year also marked the arrival of three babies for the Commongood staff! We couldn’t be happier to add to our growing family.
As we look ahead to 2014, we are excited to serve an even broader range of hiring needs. Stay tuned for an official announcement soon!
We wish you a very Happy New Year and can’t wait to work together in 2014!
Post a CommentCommenting is not available in this channel entry.
- Alison Jones
- Change.org Social Entrepreneurship
- Dan Pallotta
- Human Capitalist
- Leading Edge
- Nonprofit Capacity Building
- Nonprofit Leadership 601
- One Day One Job
- Recruitment 2.0
- Social Velocity
- Tactical Philanthropy
- Taleo Talent Management Blog
- The Human Capital Blog